At The Family Institute, we strengthen and heal families from all walks of life. By offering affordable family, individual, and couples counseling, we are able to reach some of the Chicagoland area’s most financially and emotionally vulnerable populations.
But why the focus on building stronger family bonds? Why focus on family therapy?
Here are a few of the reasons why The Family Institute works to strengthen and heal entire families, and why family therapy can be so effective:
- The family is the singular most significant factor influencing human identity.
- When families function well, the relationships can be immensely satisfying. However, when families do not function well, the relationships can be distressingly painful. Family therapy offers relief for that pain.
- Family therapy does not mean that every member of a family receives treatment simultaneously. Instead, while the family is the primary focus of treatment, therapists may also see family members on an individual basis. This allows individuals to heal on their own, as well as in the context of their families.
- More than 40 years of research shows that family therapy is an effective way to treat a wide variety of psychological issues, including adolescent drug use, schizophrenia and anorexia nervosa.
- Family-based therapy is a powerful model for change, one that not only helps people cope with major life issues, but that can ultimately transform how we lead our lives, resulting in healthier communities and societies.
We believe that people’s psychological conditions cannot be understood or treated in isolation from their families, and the context of a family, in its many forms, is the single most important factor influencing human identity. Our definition of “family” takes many diverse forms, and is not limited by the boundaries of biology, intentionality and/or law.
Each month, we help hundreds of families to live healthier, stronger lives. Last year alone, more than 7,000 men, women and children sought us out to provide the help they need regardless of income, or access to insurance. Through our Bette D. Harris Family and Child Clinic, we offer a sliding-fee scale, so clients throughout the Chicago metropolitan area pay what they can afford.
The right therapist and treatment can create an environment where families are able to make the changes necessary for healing and thriving. At The Family Institute, we provide that environment for families from all walks of life.